Sunday, September 25, 2011

JC Laws

I knew that there were a bunch of laws like this, but it still makes me sad to read them. It makes me wonder how ignorant we must have been to think that just because the African Americans have different skin color they are less human that us. And this was after slavery had ended!

I just finished reading one of my friends' reaction to the JC laws, and she said they they reminded her of two little kids who are standing across the room from eachother, but one keeps saying that the other did something to him/her.

But I think that it's more like the whites were afraid that the blacks would give them some sort of disease. I mean, they couldn't even be in the same room unless there was a seven foot high wall with separate entrances. I don't understand how people could do that to others. It really makes me mad. And even if there were people who wanted to stand up for blacks, they couldn't say or write anything because it was forbidden by one of the laws.

It really makes you sympathetic towards what the Black Liberation movement was doing. If I were reading the Birmingham letter, (and if I was black) I would be like "there is no way we are going to stop until you get rid of all these ridiculous laws and treat us equally!"

1 comment:

  1. Your blog rocks! I feel like such a nerd right now because I am commenting on a blog! Yes, I am so going to end all of my sentences with a ! I think I can go to the movie on Wednesday if I get all of my homework done! Yaaaaaaay!

    ReplyDelete