Friday, November 4, 2011

Shimeji: You'll Never Be Lonely Again

So during the summer my friend randomly skyped me and told me about something totally, amazingly awesome. They're called shimejies, also known as desktop buddies, and they are quite possibly the cutest things that will ever haunt your computer screen. Basically, what they do is they sit, walk, climb, and sometimes they throw your windows away.

At first, I had a ton of trouble downloading the program that would let me use them. It took almost a week before I could get it working. Of course, after that I went on an absolute spree. I have 22 right now. I mean, you don't have to have all of them on the screen at the same time. That would just be absolute chaos. In fact, it would probably make my computer freak out and shut down in a very catastrophic manner. And that would be very bad, because I'd probably lose a lot of data.

The only downside for most people is that they're kind of a geeky thing. Well, the buddies in essence aren't that geeky, but the characters are. They're things like pokemon, anime characters, and even a creeper from minecraft. If you didn't really understand anything I just said, then they definitely not for you. However, if you like these things, shimejies/buddies are so adorable and you should get one! Oh, and did I mention they multiply? That's right, leave them unattended, and you can soon have complete and utter chaos to the extreme. Imagine like twenty little things running around your screen. you wouldn't be able to do much. When I say little, they aren't actually that small. You can see details like creases in clothes and stuff.

Another thing I don't think I mentioned is that you can interact with them too. There's a little button in the program that says "follow me" and if you click that, every shimeji/buddy on the screen will follow after your mouse like little ducklings. You can also pick them up. They hang there, but if you shake the mouse (as in moving it back and forth) they make funny faces an they swing in a way that's similar to a clock pendulum. And then when you let go of the mouse, they fall down and land on the bottom of the screen (which is actually very sad, so I avoid it whenever possible). But yeah, it's a very cleverly designed program.

In fact, the program is so well written, that you can make your own shimejies/budddies if you want to. Basically you just write over the existing pictures and then put your own over it. But it takes a really, really, really long time because there are somewhere around 54 images to replace. So yeah, only very ambitious people can really do it.

Aaaaaand since I have pretty much run out of things to say, here are a couple of pictures of some of my shimejies/buddies being super cute







So yeah, they're cute and awesome and keep you company when you're doing your homework.Yup.

I leave you with this final thought: the videos right here and here aaaaaannnnnnddddd here are awesome (the second, and third are by the same person. He is one of the funniest people on youtube, and the first one is our french song right now. It will be stuck in your head, even if you don't know the words) So go click it! Go click it now!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. These are ADORABLE! I love manga/anime/pokemon! Where do you get these? do you have to pay? Is it a lot of technical stuff?

    ReplyDelete