Saturday, January 14, 2012

Superfreakonomics: The Review

First, you should read the first one first (seeing as this is not the first). Well, you don't have to. I mean, I didn't and I understood everything well enough. I just really wanted to include that sentence.

So anyway, my BLA group read Superfreakonomics.
There. A nice, big cover with an exploding apple orange, what could be better than that?

In all seriousness, though, this was a really good book, I would absolutely recommend it. What's it about? Ummmmm.....  a whole bunch of stuff, really. It's about economics, obviously. It talks about the motivations behind what people do, a whole lot of problems, and solutions to those problems.

But these guys, Levitt and Dubner, write in a way that's easy to understand. They're talking about stuff that a lot of people don't get, but they explain it so that we can understand. And when they use terms that we're not familiar with, they thoroughly explain what it means. But if you really can't stand reading about stuff that involves a lot of statistics, I wouldn't really recommend this book, because they use a lot of numbers in this book.

Not only is it easy to read, but it's really relevant. They talk about problems that are happening now, like global warming. I think that using modern issues keeps the book interesting because people want to understand things around them. But maybe that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I absolutely recommend this book. I really liked it (and I usually don't like non-fiction books) and I think that it's well worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment